Partagez

[REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7")

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas 
AuteurMessage
Deen0X
Padawan
Deen0X

[REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") Empty
Msg n°1 MessageSujet: [REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") [REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") Icon_minitimeMer 12 Mar 2014 - 13:44

[REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") Rhino.5330

NOTE: This is a summarize of the original article located in my blog
Note: I tried to write this directly in english, but most probably i will make many mistakes. Hope you understand main information of this article, that most of it is technical info, and forgive these mistakes.

Any correction i will be glad on doing to this article.

Acknowledgments

To GPD manufacturer for send me a sample of their product GPD-G7 to test it and write this review.

Usage of this article

Author give permission to use this review, part of this or by a link reference, to anybody wants to use it, with only one condition that you must keep the author of this article, and the original source, that is on my blog.

For any update for the content of this article, i suggest to visit the link avobe.

Introduction

After releasing their previous model GPD-G5A, the manufacturer relesaes their 7" version called GPD-G7.

This product is focussed on users that wants something in big screen, but offering a good experience of usage, based on the ergonomic design of the device. In fact, in my opinion is the most comfortable 7" device i used until now (there may be other comfortable devices in the market, but i didn´t tested yet)

GPD is taking so serious all the feedback that they are receiving, and is developing and improving their devices based on these information. The final product is a device with a very good relationship between features/specs/price, and if keep doing their job in this way, most probably will become in a reference to other android gaming devices manufacturers. (if they are not now)

I see some users that get their device have some problems with DPAD. As i know, first units may have this problem. Mine device is from these first batches, but i don´t get big problems with the DPAD, but i want to mention this before you read this artile, to take in consideration why others users giving bad comments about this point (manufacturer told to me that will improve their next bathces with better DPAD, with all these problems fixed)

I will comment this device based in my experience of usage (without DPAD big problems), and hope all the info i post here will be useful for who is looking information about this device.

[REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") PackageProduct showcase(Checking of the external view of the package)

[REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") SAM_4767

The device come in a box with very simple prints on their faces. Basically, there is a device's photo, with few icons with some features, and with texts in spanish and portuguese (there is so curious there is no english texts on the device)

[REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") SAM_4770[REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") SAM_4769

The contents of the box is designed for sure transportation of the device, avoiding most bumps, and the device and all their accessories fits perfectly on it.

[REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") Package+ContentsPackage contents(Unboxing y full description of the package contents)

When the package is opened, we found the following elements thats, i understand, are part of any standard shippment for this product.

[REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") SAM_4772

• GPD-G7 device
  • Wall Charger, with specific plug for the device
  • MicroUSB cable (Data only)
  • Headphones

[REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") Inspect_iconProduct description(Enumerate of components that conform the product)

In the following section i will explain briefly each component that comform the device, listing each component existing in their structure and doing comments about these elements when i consider.

In this section i will list only the device parts that may contain elements interesting to comment.

These faces of the device that don´t containt any element i will omit.

[REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") Cube-FrontFront view[REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") WB30F?

• Left analog stick
  • DPAD
  • Left Speaker
  • Front camera 2MPx
  • 7" Screen
  • Buttons [SELECT], [START], [POWER], [VOL+], [VOL-]
  • Operation led
  • Microphone
  • Right analog stick
  • Buttons [4], [1], , [A], [3], [2]

• Right speaker

[*]

Youtube Gallery

[REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") 2  [REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") 2  [REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") 2  

[REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") 2  [REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") 2  [REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") 2  

Gamestreaming

[REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") Pc-overview

With this section i want to test devices for gamestreaming, focused in control usage and wifi (strenght, stability, heating)

My tests are based on the article i wrote for gamestreaming "From PC to our Android Gaming Console" (in spanish, but you can use english translator of the blog), and this may help to bring examples of another kind of usages of the device.

Usually, i test with the same games, for comparing devices. You can visit my youtube channel for more gameplays on many devices, and compare with this.

Of course, the image quality of these gameplays are poor than original image on PC, but are enought (most of time) for normal gameplays. There are a little lag too, and for this reason i use games that can play correctly, even with this lag in sound, image and/or controls. For more info, i suggest to visit the link of the article i mentioned previously.

If you want to see these videos, i suggest to see on your device (mobile/android gaming device). These videos will looks well in small size screens. If you see them in your PC or similar, in full screen, of course you will see a low resolution image quiality, but for devices are enough for playing.

Blades of Time

Kainy version

Splashtop version

I'm using the last released versions of these apps for streaming.

In both versions there is Gamepad and XInput support, then i can play in the device and use as controller directly on the game, without any bridge program to transform device controls in windows controller and then in XInput.

For this testings, i´m using Splashtop THD in compatibility mode (my PC don´t have a supported GFX for direct GPU streaming)

In both test i can play ok. Thre is a little lag (more in splashtop), but enough for normal gameplay.

Assassin´s Creed
Kainy version

Splashtop version

The game runs flow, smooth and the video quality is enough for reading the little texts on the screen.

Hawken (Kainy)

I tried this new Mech game directly on the device. There is a little bit hard to play with gamepad (this game is designed to be played with mouse), but with sompe practice, i think i will dominate the controls and play normally.

Note: The video show my first time playing this title, and this is the main reason why i´m doing a very bad gameplay.

Note 2: I´m controlling completely the game using the GPD-G7 controller device. There is no extra mouse or keyboard for playing.

For more videos of this device, check this playlist i´ve created that i updated whit new videos.

About Battery

[REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") Battery+Clean+300x300

The device come with a 5000mAh battery capacity, that is very good capacity.

I really don´t know real lifetime with a normal usage of this, but i can reach easily 4 hours of usage, with a minimal clock set to 816MHz, governor = ondemand. (playing basically PPSSPP)

Manufacturer default stock rom come caped to 1.4GHz, but with a custom firmware the cpu can be unlocked to reach 1.6GHz. The best part is that the system is so stable at 1.6GHz (almost the sample i get). I get few reboots of the system, but most probably because i´m doing some testing and the system hangs/reboots.

For general usage, i suggest to downclock the cpu to 1.2GHz, because the system run very well with this speed, and you can save battery.

Pros, cons and improvements.

[REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") Checklist-icon-2

As in every product, there are pros and cons points that are good to mention in a clear way. These points will help to us to decide if the device features are enough for what the user are looking for in a device of this kind.

Pros are based on features that highlight, comparing the device with another similars, or these features improve the experience of the user.

In the another hand, the cons are these points that worse the experience, or the feature is not enough for fulfill what we expect from the device.

Finally, the improvements pints are some features or specs that i think must be improved in a supposed new version of the device, and will generate a better experience in my opinion.

[REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") Point+GoodPros

• Comfort is the most important feature of this device. Even with their size, the device feels good and bring an experience similar to using a game controller on the hands.
  • Analog Sticks are so good. They are so similar to X360 controller, and provide a good experience of usage.
  • This is the first device with full set of buttons, including C and Z buttons (part of the 6 button layout of the device).
  • DPAD is good and, in the case of the sample tested, accurate. Good for fighting games.
  • Main 4 Buttons are comfotable to use.
  • Shoulder buttons are so comfortables.
  • Touch Screen is responsive and appears to be good, considering is TFT.
  • Stock Firmware (official firmwares) run very smooth and are clean in general speaking.
  • Official firmware come with Joystick Driver for controls.
  • Official keymapper (stock firmware) include all controls of the device, this include C, Z, L3, R3, Select and Start
  • There exist a Custom Firmware based on Source Code of the device.
  • Speakers are located on front of the device.
  • There is a specific port charge for battery charging
  • HDMI output has no lag in general.
  • Materials are correct/good. Better than i expected for this device, considering the price.
  • The device come with a single camera and is located in front for videocalling, and i consider a good point this, because most of these kind of devices come with a low res camera (2MPx) located in back, and i don´t consider this camera as a serious camera for taking photos (resolution is not enough) but for videochat is ok.
  • System buttons and Select & Start buttons are in front of the device (not in bottom side, as GPD-G5A)

[REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") Point+BadCons

• Not my case, but i see some cases where DPAD cannot do diagonals. As i know, this is a general issue of the firsts production batches, but the manufacturer will fix this in next batches.
  • There is no Bluetooth. In my opinion, is a must on these kind of devices. (headphones, controllers for desktop console mode, etc)
  • Based on G5A, main buttons are displaced some milimeters down, and sometimes is hard to press a button, when using right stick. I feel most comfortable using G5A device for this point.
  • Design is not easy to transport in a backpack or pocket. There is necessary to find a proper bag for keep and transport (and protect sticks!)
  • Is a very good point that manufacturer include 6 buttons in the layout, but the final layout is not comfortable as another layout.

[REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") Factory-Yellow-iconImprovements

• Manufacturer tell to me that will fix the DPAD problem, but i will pust this as an improvement for the current version of the device.
  • Add bluetooth module. Is a must have for this kind of device (in my opinion)
  • Is not necessary but adding IPS panel may be fine.
  • Add a wist strap hole in the design.
  • Add real analogs to L2 and R2
  • KEEP the 6 button feature, but change the layout for something as i suggested, or other similar to 3x2 classic layout.
  • Add a USB HUB included on the same device (almost, one or two extra normal USB-OTG ports)

Conclusion[REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") GearMind

For who is looking for a comfortable and good specs device, must check this one. In my opinion, this is the most comfortable 7" device i´ve tested until now. Ergonomics is the main feature of this device.

Controls, specially analog sticks are so comfortables. Nova 3 and similar games are not my favorites really, but I have enjoyed playing these games in this device.

The device itself does not go unnoticed. I used this on subway, train, etc, and people get their attention on it.

First impression of many friends is negative, because all of them think this is a monster device, but after testing and playing something, most of them get impressed with the comfort and change their perception of the device, get interested on it.

For now is one of the most interesting devices, taking their relationshipt between specs/quality/price, and is a serious alternative for 7" gaming device.

Final words

[REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") BrokenKeyboard

I enjoy testing this device (and playing with Kainy). Is a pleasure to play shooters with this devices, thanks to their analogs sticks.

Hope all the info i posted on this article you found useful, and help to you to decide, in buying or not this device.

I will try to keep on-date this article with some extra info and testings i keep doing on the device, after publishing this review.

And again, apologize any error i do writing this in english.

Zalu2!

Deen0X
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
AndroGamesFR
Accro'
AndroGamesFR

Msg n°2 MessageSujet: Re: [REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") [REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") Icon_minitimeMer 19 Mar 2014 - 21:28

Bonjour à tous

je vous propose notre vidéo test de la GPD G7
j'espère que je pourrais faire une vidéo comparative à la Archos Gamepad 2 bientot
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1yr5j8NEsKk

merci à tous
admin
Team Open Consoles
Team Open Consoles

Msg n°3 MessageSujet: Re: [REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") [REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") Icon_minitimeMer 19 Mar 2014 - 21:38

Merci happy

Une petite présentation ça serait cool Wink Surtout que ton site à l'air sympa aussi.
AndroGamesFR
Accro'
AndroGamesFR

Msg n°4 MessageSujet: Re: [REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") [REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") Icon_minitimeMer 19 Mar 2014 - 21:47

Merci à toi
je vais faire ça Wink
Belchine
Revendeur/Partenaire Certifié
Belchine

Msg n°5 MessageSujet: Re: [REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") [REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") Icon_minitimeMer 19 Mar 2014 - 21:59

Moi je connais déjà  :ptdr: 
http://www.belchine.net
AndroGamesFR
Accro'
AndroGamesFR

Msg n°6 MessageSujet: Re: [REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") [REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") Icon_minitimeMer 19 Mar 2014 - 22:00

Et toi je t'ai reconnu :beer: 
Belchine
Revendeur/Partenaire Certifié
Belchine

Msg n°7 MessageSujet: Re: [REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") [REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") Icon_minitimeMer 19 Mar 2014 - 22:29

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: 
http://www.belchine.net
k0en
Team Open Consoles
Team Open Consoles
k0en

Machine préférée TO7-70

Msg n°8 MessageSujet: Re: [REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") [REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") Icon_minitimeJeu 20 Mar 2014 - 10:25

Moi je connais aussi tongue
AndroGamesFR
Accro'
AndroGamesFR

Msg n°9 MessageSujet: Re: [REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") [REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") Icon_minitimeJeu 20 Mar 2014 - 11:27

We are famous !
Contenu sponsorisé

Msg n°10 MessageSujet: Re: [REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") [REVIEW] GPD-G7 (Quad-Core, 7") Icon_minitime

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut 
Page 1 sur 1